-pray

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

EnigmaticSpirit
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

-pray

Post by EnigmaticSpirit » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:20 am

Gets you out of mind affecting magic. Rogue crippling strike. Running out of heal potions. PVP becomes about who has more piety.

Combat deities need a better buff that isn't game breaking and is one of the reasons the assassins guild is dead.

Astral

Re: -pray

Post by Astral » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:34 am

+1 here

I wish -pray had some higher % to fail to remove CC in pvp. or something like that.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

ChaoticCuriosity

Post by ChaoticCuriosity » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:42 am

Fortunately, -prays has a period of cooldown after being used meaning that a "piety off" isn't really an option unless your fights go well through several dozen hours.
In which case I think the only god one should be investing in, is one who provides haste - or timestop.

As for removing Crippling Strike, there's a number of other ways of doing it not only -prays.
#MakeTeaGreatAgain
#GonnesAndRoses

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:18 am

The issue in question here, is -pray's ability to break paralysis, which is the assassin's single trick. Death attack being so useless due to this mechanic is a large part of why assassin is as bad as it is, and why there are so very few assassins.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:15 am

It can only be used once a IG day or so you lose a ton of piety and some exp,if you could paralyze a person before, you still can and if you only have one chance and are fighting a divine class(or any other who seems to have a war god) make sure to bait -prays before using it.I think it adds to strategy and isnt OP at all. Just my honest opinion though
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:23 pm

PvP is absolutely not about who has more piety. Assassin's guild is dead (I suppose?) because the No-RP rule was removed. Assassin class is awful though, and people are forced to take 5 levels of it if they want to take on contracts. -pray could use a change but in a way where certain 600+ hp builds don't get all their HP back and instead a flat number ( something that Cortex suggested, I don't know where that topic is now ). I assure you, whatever that is worth to you, most of the time in PvP -pray had no difference for me. This is because -pray exists to counter ... I'll use 'one shot tactics' term for the sake of clarity. It doesn't exist to win you a PvP. But like I said, it does make a significant difference for builds with a larger HP pool.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:43 pm

Last time I encountered an assassin, I just did not have enough piety. That didn't go well.

The funny thing about said bag of tricks is that it's an insta-win one-trick pony.

assassins are pretty bad, tho, i regret ever playing an assassin monk, that was painful

I also agree with everything Tarkus said.

EnigmaticSpirit
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by EnigmaticSpirit » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:46 am

I made my assassin after the no-RP rule was removed. I just retired her. No-one pays enough for the contracts to be worthwhile. Because of -pray, we have to spend ludicrous amounts on time stop scrolls to get around it. They pay 20k for someone. We spend 3x that on the resources to make it happen. It's not worth it.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:47 am

It's not -pray that really slaps assassins; it's a combination of the sort of dull Guild houses, especially the Andunor branch, and the minimum bounty of 10000 gold being pathetic. The UMD supplies necessary to kill any good player, or any player playing a build that doesn't die easily like a Barbarian, are worth more than ten thousand.

Building around death attack is gimmicky already, even if -pray didn't exist, and I don't think a "save-or-prettymuchdie, but only if they're not in combat" is the way to go forward in buffing Assassin as a class.

I played a 18ftr/7wm/5assassin weaponmaster and regretted it wholeheartedly. The Guild isn't cool enough to excuse it under that "well dude it's cool" effect, and the mechanical loss in power is pretty huge skill point wise, as is the loss of a point of soft-STR and an extra epic feat.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:04 am

-pray is only one of many issues plaguing the Assassin class. The class as a whole could use a rework. Even if -pray stopped existing tomorrow, assassins would still be bad.

That said, I don't like -pray mechanics. Intuitively and thematically, I dislike the idea of praying while time is stopped for me. Or praying when I'm too stunned or dazed to even defend myself, let alone form a coherent appeal to my deity.

In regards to balance, the fact that -pray is a necessary counter to one shot tactics suggests to me that things are tilted too far in favor of burst damage. We're essentially admitting that the meta isn't balanced unless most PCs have effectively 2x their HP pool.

Personal views, in any case. Ideally, I'd like to see both the assassin class and the general balance around burst damage looked at so that -pray is no longer a necessary evil. It doesn't help that keeping piety topped off can be one of the must unfun and time-sucking activities in the game, depending on the aspects of your chosen deity.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:45 am

From a pve perspective do you really want to die every time a monster lands a CC on you?

hmm2

THANK YOU

Post by hmm2 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:49 pm

*Used -Pray to get out of EnigmaticSpirit's Paralysis*
(i Rolled a 1 on the Fort Save, from Both times i encountered her)*

i am very grateful to the Devs for -pray command;
making up for 1 Auto-fail on 1's ^_^

Respect
i am Grateful
Thank You Sexy Beasts!
Last edited by hmm2 on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Plays as: Axe

Dredi

Post by Dredi » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:43 pm

Seems more reasonable to just make pray not function while under heavy CC.

Non-Divine characters invoking the direct intervention of a diety shouldn't be something that one can acheive by simply thinking about it.
Roleplay can define your characters actions but when you as a player have the ability to accept loss and understand that sometimes its better to let the other person win because it makes a better story - it is then that you become a good roleplayer.

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:01 am

Dredi wrote:Seems more reasonable to just make pray not function while under heavy CC.

Non-Divine characters invoking the direct intervention of a diety shouldn't be something that one can acheive by simply thinking about it.
I hate to bring real life into your fantasy, but when I pray, I do it silently. I'm 99.99% sure I'm not alone in this either, and I'm not sure why my fictional characters whom live in a world deities have been seen walking the earth would be any different.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:15 am

I believe the point is that most people won't even have it cross their mind (OR BE CAPABLE OF THINKING ABOUT IT AT ALL) to pray when >paralyzed >dazed >stunned >petrified >being cleaved in half >while they are frozen in time >ect

I like pray tho, most use Ive gotten out of it is for pve

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:21 am

susitsu wrote:I believe the point is that most people won't even have it cross their mind (OR BE CAPABLE OF THINKING ABOUT IT AT ALL) to pray when >paralyzed >dazed >stunned >petrified >being cleaved in half >while they are frozen in time >ect

I beg to differ. As someone who knows that the dieties are 100% real and a part of my every day life, those are _exactly_ the times I would pray.

pigman

Post by pigman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:43 am

What if a pvp pray cost a level? Your deity has intervened and in doing so potentially caused the death of another PC, seems fair to give a portion of your "life force" in exchange for such a gift.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:51 am

pigman wrote:What if a pvp pray cost a level? Your deity has intervened and in doing so potentially caused the death of another PC, seems fair to give a portion of your "life force" in exchange for such a gift.
A bit harsh, but... I like it. It would be another reason to be stingy about PvP - or at least about using the cheeky -pray.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:55 am

Rwby wrote:
susitsu wrote:I believe the point is that most people won't even have it cross their mind (OR BE CAPABLE OF THINKING ABOUT IT AT ALL) to pray when >paralyzed >dazed >stunned >petrified >being cleaved in half >while they are frozen in time >ect

I beg to differ. As someone who knows that the dieties are 100% real and a part of my every day life, those are _exactly_ the times I would pray.
Alright, you get hit the head really hard and see how well you think.

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:02 am

susitsu wrote:
Rwby wrote:

Alright, you get hit the head really hard and see how well you think.
I've been hit in the head several times in my life exceptionally hard. Have you?

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:03 am

I was thinking, but not very hard.. and only for a second or two.

What if -pray required you to kneel, be motionless and not receive damage for a few seconds? You would still have your godsave if you die to PvE, but you would see a lot less praying during PvP. You would at least have to retreat first and find a moment to pray.

Or just have it not work 100% of the time.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:21 am

Must've been pretty hard.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:48 am

Rwby wrote:I've been hit in the head several times in my life exceptionally hard. Have you?
[insert picture of thinking emoji]

The Guy everyone thinks is Memelord

Post by The Guy everyone thinks is Memelord » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:33 am

EnigmaticSpirit wrote:Gets you out of mind affecting magic. Rogue crippling strike. Running out of heal potions. PVP becomes about who has more piety.

Combat deities need a better buff that isn't game breaking and is one of the reasons the assassins guild is dead.
Guys hold on tho -- Lesser Restoration potions need to be removed. They get you out of Thirst/Hunger/Food effects, completely negate all Bigbys spells that don't paralyze you, remove the effects of Curse Song and Doom, and that all serves to damage my immersion severely since drinking a bottle shouldn't stop you from crying over terrible music. Sad!
Nitro wrote:About time to be honest, the forums have been a bit hostile of late.
Nitro wrote:a bit.

Rabbid
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rabbid » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:42 am

The Guy everyone thinks is Memelord wrote:
EnigmaticSpirit wrote: since drinking a bottle shouldn't stop you from crying over terrible music. Sad!
I don't know

Alcohol can make even terribad songs seem funny and make me laugh....
Kalgoon wrote:Drow PC waltzed into Cordor and proceeded to murder like disco was going out of style
Kuma wrote:It's 1372 after Bane's resurrection but before the Silence of Lolth
Which means that Elminster has been trapped in hell for 130 years
+1